Example: Express 1 hour to 1 day as ratio.
- A ratio is a way of comparing two quantities.
- It is written as 3 to 4 or 3 : 4
- It is same as writing fraction. Example: 3/4
- The ratio of two quantities expressed is the simplest form of that fraction.
- Always make sure the things you are comparing are in the same unit. If not convert one so that they are in the same unit.
Always make sure the things you are comparing are in the same unit.
First convert 1 day to 24 hours
1 hour to 1 day
1 day = 24 hours
1 : 24
Answer 1 : 24
Example: What is the ratio of 21 and 35?
This can be written as 21/35
- To find the simplest form, we find the HCF of the given quantities
- Factors of 21 are 1, 3, 7, 21
- Factors of 35 are 1, 5, 7, 35
- HCF is 7.
- Divide both 21 and 35 by 7.
- The simplest form of this is 3/5.
Directions: Answer the following questions. Also write at least ten examples of your own.