|Draw the following graphs:
y = x, y = 2x, y = (1/2)x and y = (1/3)x.
In the above problems to find y value we can take any real number for x, but our convenience we are taking only integers.
The ordered pairs for the graph y = x
The ordered pairs for the graph y = 2x
The ordered pairs for the graph y = (1/3)x
The ordered pairs for the graph y = (1/2)x
Observing above graphs:
1. All these lines are passing through the origin.
2. All these lines are passing through I and III quadrants.
3. The general form of the relation is y = mx, where m = 1, 2, 1/2 and 1/3
4. For positive values of m, that is when the coefficient of x is positive the graph slopes upward to the right. As the values of m increase the lines move towards y axis.
5. In the graph y = mx, m is known as the slope, and it is the coefficient of x.
6. m = y/x slope is the ratio between y-coordinate and x-coordinate.
Directions: Draw the graph for y = x, y = 3x, y = (1/4)x and y = 5x