- Arrange the numbers one below the other.
- Add the numbers in ones place.
- Move on the tens, hundreds and thousands.
Addition without carry
Example: Add 3452 + 3216
- Start from ones place, 6 and 2 gives 8
- In tens place 5 and 1 add up to 6.
- In hundreds place 4 and 2 give 6.
- In thousands place 3 and 3 give 6.
Addition with carry
- In ones place, sum is 10, 1 is carried to tens place.
- In tens place sum is 10, add the carry. This results in 11 with a carry 1 to hundreds place.
- In hundreds place sum is 10 , add the carry. This results in 11 with a carry 1 to thousands place.
- In ten thousands place, sum is 10 , add the carry, the result is 11.
Directions: Add the following numbers. Also write at least ten examples of your own.