|Directions: Choose one of the issues listed below and write a one-paragraph mini-speech on it, taking either the pro side or the con side of the issue. Use the persuasive structure given below to outline and write your mini-speech.|
|Censorship on Television||Kids and Tattoos/Piercing|
Mandatory School Uniforms||Death Penalty as a deterrent to crime|
Drug Testing of Professional Sports Players||Raising/Lowering the Driving Age|
1. Issue--Write a catchy hook that introduces your issue and capture's your audience's interest.
2. Position--Clearly state your position/opinion on the issue.
3. Argument--Give a specific reason why you have this position.
4. Evidence--Use relevant examples to support your argument.
5. Counter Argument--State the reasons why others might disagree with your position.
6. Refutation--Defend your position against the counter-argument.
7. Action Statement--State what your listeners should think/do after hearing your speech.
Example: Drug Testing of Professional Sports Players
Mark Maguire's tears mean nothing to me; I now know that the man who saved baseball is a cheater. After hearing Maguire's testimony, I believe that MLB should administer drug tests to its players. Today's youth look up to sports players, so these athletes should be role models for them. For example, in a recent Sports Illustrated issue, a 10 year old said that Barry Bonds was his role model. I want to know that this athlete is not a drug user, and drug testing is the best way to ensure it. Although some argue that drug testing violates an athlete's privacy, everyone knows that by signing a contract, a player is instantly becoming a role model for kids. Therefore, we need to urge Congress to support drug testing in professional sports, starting with baseball.
|Position (Pro/Con)|| |
|Argument (Reason)|| |
|Evidence (Example)|| |
|Action Statement|| |