Example: 325 ? 135
- Read out the numbers given.
- Compare the hundreds place number.
- If the hundreds place number is same then compare the tens place.
- If the tens place is also the same then compare the units place.
- We use >, <, = signs to compare numbers.
- Compare the numbers and use the appropriate sign.
If you look at the hundreds place in the numbers 325 and 135. You will see that 3 is greater than 1.
Therefore, 325 is greater than 135, so we use > sign 325 > 135.
Answer : >
Example: 236 ? 239
If you look at the hundreds place in the numbers 236 and 239. You will see that the hundreds place is the same.
Compare the tens place, tens place is also the same.
Compare the units place, 6 is less than 9
Therefore, 236 and 239, 236 is lesser than 239, so we use < sign.
Answer : <
Example: 234 = 234
We compare 234 and 234, since both are same we use = sign.
Answer : =
Directions: Compare the following three digit numbers. Also write at least ten examples of your own.