- Look at the numbers carefully.
- Rule 1: If a number has more digits than another, it is greater of the two.
- Rule 2: If two numbers have the same number of digits, we compare them by their extreme left-most digits. The number with the greater digit is greater.
- If the extreme left-most digits are the same, we compare them by their next digits to the right and so on.
Example: 95,356 ? 9,558
Here the first number 95,356 has more digits than the second number 9,558
Therefore 95,356 > 9,558
Example: 95,356 ? 95,578
- Start comparing from ten thousands place, both the numbers contain 9.
- In thousands place both contain 5 .
- In hundreds place the first number contains 3 and the second contains 5.
- Hence first number is lesser than second.
Directions: Compare the numbers and use appropriate sign. Also write at least ten examples of your own.