Example: 1/7 _ 2/7
- Read the fractions given.
- Arrange the fractions in either ascending or descending order.
- If the fractions are like, then we just compare the numerators.
- If the fractions are unlike, they are compared using LCM.
- Of the two fractions having the same denominator, the one with greater
numerator is greater.
- Of the two fractions having the same numerator, the one with greater
denominator is smaller.
- The above is a pair of like fractions.
- Comparing the numerators, 1/7 < 2/7
Example: 5/3 _ 3/4
- The above is a pair of unlike fractions.
- Find the LCM of 3 and 4.
- LCM is 12.
- We then compare 20/12, 9/12.
- Hence 5/3 > 3/4.
Directions: Compare the following fractions. Also write at least 5 examples of your own.