|Exclamation Mark (!) is used when you want to express a sense of urgency or a very strong emotion. It may be placed after a word, a phrase, or a sentence. Exclamation marks are rare in formal writing, therefore use them sparingly.
- Use exclamation marks after words that express strong emotion.
Examples: Wow!, Help!, Alas!,
- Use exclamation marks after phrases that express strong emotion.
Oh my god!
- Use exclamation marks at the end of exclamatory sentences.
This place has gone crazy!
It has been raining for seven days!
- Use an exclamation mark after an interjection.
Example: Yeah! We finally won the game!
- Use an exclamation mark after a strong command (imperative sentence).
Do your homework!
Do it now!
Stop that train!
Directions: Answer the following questions. Write your own examples for each of the punctuation rules given above.