- An expression is a meaningful collection of numbers, variables, and signs, positive or negative, of operations that must make mathematical and logical sense.
- Expression contain any number of algebraic terms
- Terms are separated by addition or subtraction
- Expression use signs of operation—addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- It do not contain an equality sign (=)
| Expressions || Not expressions: |
| x + y|
a + b
| a + • b as it contains two operations in between the terms|
y = 2x – 1 contains equal sign
- It is a mathematical statement or algebraic expression with an equal sign.
x + y = 0
7xy = 0
a + b = 0
-2/3s2 = 0
4ab = 23
Example: Write the coefficient of x in 7x.
Solution: The coefficient of x in 7x is 7
Example: Write the coefficient of (7x+9) in 3(7x+9).
Solution: The coefficient of (7x+9) in 3(7x+9) is 3
Directions: Find the coefficient of the given problems. Also write at least ten examples for algebraic expressions, algebraic equations and coefficients.