|Factors of a Number:
Multiples of a Number:
- A factor of a number N is a number which divides N exactly.
- Example: the factors of 12 are 1,2,3,4,6,and 12
- Note that every number has itself and 1 as its factors.
- When a number is greater than 1 and has just itself and 1 as factors, the numbe is prime.
- A number which is the product of a given number and another factor.
- Example: 12 is a multiple of each of the numbers 1,2,3,4, and 6
5 x 6 = 30
The numbers that are multiplied 5 and 6 are called factors.
The product formed by multiplying the factors that is 30 is called multiple.
30 is a multiple of 6 and 5
Example: Which number is a factor of 16?
Directions: Answer the following questions. Also write at least 10 examples of factors and multiples of your own.