Example: What is the ratio of 21 and 35?
- A ratio is a way of comparing two quantities by division.
- It is same as writing fraction.
- It is written as
- The ratio of two quantities is expressed in simplest form of that fraction.
- When writing a ratio involving measurements, both quantities should have the same unit.
This can be written in fraction as 21/35
- To find the simplest form, we find the HCF of the given quantities
- Factors of 21 are 1, 3, 7, 21
- Factors of 35 are 1, 5, 7, 35
- HCF is 7.
- Divide both 21 and 35 by 7.
- The simplest form of this is 3/5.
Example: Express the ratio: 9 goldfish out of 15 as a fraction in simplest form.
9/15 = 3/5
The ratio of goldfish to fish is 3 to 5. This means that for every 5 fish, 3 of them are goldfish.
Example: Express the ratio 2 feet to 18 inches as a fraction in simplest form.
2 feet/ 18 inches
= 24 inches / 18 inches
Written in simplest form the ratio is 4 to 3.
Directions: Answer the following questions. Also write at least ten examples of your own.